Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
The Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA) Program is designed to provide jobs and training opportunities to veterans. Federal agencies may noncompetitively hire eligible and qualified veterans who received other than a dishonorable discharge, and meet job qualifications.
At the end of a two-year period from the VRA, a veteran will be converted provided work performance and conduct are deemed at an acceptable level.
The following individuals are eligible for a VRA appointment:
- Disabled veterans;
- Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized;
- Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which the Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; and
- Veterans separated from active duty within the past 3 years.
There is no minimum service requirement, but the individual must have served on active duty, not active duty for training.
Maximum Entry Grade Level
The veteran must meet the qualification requirements for the position. Qualified VRA eligibles may be appointed to positions up to GS-11 or equivalent.
How to Apply
The Bureau of the Fiscal Service accepts applications from VRA-eligible candidates for any job vacancy announced with the area of consideration listed as "All Status."
Applicants must submit a complete application package for each vacancy. Each package must include the following:
- Application (e.g., Optional Application for Federal Employment, OF-612; Application for Federal Employment, SF-171; or résumé). Note: Applicants who wish to submit a résumé should consult the OF 510 brochure entitled "Applying for a Federal Job". The brochure can be obtained at http://www.opm.gov/forms/.
- A copy of the Form DD 214, Report of Separation from Active Duty.
- Application for 10-point veteran preference, SF 15, if applicable. Include required documentation listed on the back of the SF 15 form.
- Any other required information listed on the vacancy announcement.
For additional information, please contact:
- USA Jobs
- Bureau of the Fiscal Service Home Page
- Job Information
- Audix: 304-480-6144
- For deaf and/or hard-of-hearing individuals:
304-480-8725 - TDD
Interpreter services are available for employees.
- Bureau of the Fiscal Service
Treasury Franchise Employment Services Branch
200 Third Street - Avery 2H
Parkersburg, WV 26106
304-480-7300 - General Information
Last modified 09/05/19