Skip Navigation
Official website of the United States Government We can do this. Find COVID-19 vaccines near you. Visit U.S. Department of the Treasury
Bureau of the Fiscal Service Home
Debt Management
Rule Book

Frequently Asked Questions for the Public

The Bureau of the Fiscal Service in the Department of the Treasury collects overdue (delinquent) nontax debt for other federal agencies.

If you owe money to a federal agency and you did not pay it on time, you have a delinquent debt. You will receive a letter first from the agency to whom you owe the debt. If you do not pay the agency, the debt then goes to Treasury and we send you a letter about that debt. The letter tells you what agency you owe money to, how much you owe, and how you can pay.

Fiscal Service Contact Information

Debt Recovery Analyst:  1-888-826-3127
U.S. Department of the Treasury
P.O. Box 830794
Birmingham, AL, 35283-0794

If you received a delinquent debt notice or a letter about a defaulted student loan from the U.S. Department of the Treasury, or have questions regarding the offset of your federal tax refund or of another U.S. government-issued payment, please visit our Treasury Offset Program ( for more information, or the Contact Debt Management page to find out how we can help you.

Last modified 07/14/23