Skip Navigation
Official website of the United States Government We can do this. Find COVID-19 vaccines near you. Visit U.S. Department of the Treasury
Bureau of the Fiscal Service

Gifts to the U.S. Government

How do I make a contribution to the U.S. government?

Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called "Gifts to the United States."

This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts, such as bequests, from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States. Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs.

These contributions are considered an unconditional gift to the government. Citizens can make financial donations electronically through or in paper form.

  • At, you can contribute online from your bank account (ACH), PayPal, debit or credit card.
  • You can write a check or money order, payable to the United States Treasury, and in the memo section notate that it's a gift to the United States. Mail your check or money order to the address below.
Gifts to the United States
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Reporting and Analysis Branch 2
P.O. Box 1328
Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328

Any tax-related questions regarding these contributions should be directed to the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040.

Last modified 01/31/23