Skip Navigation
Official website of the United States Government U.S. Department of the Treasury
Bureau of the Fiscal Service Home
Treasury Offset Program

Frequently Asked Questions for Federal Agencies

On this page:

Questions about sending overdue debts to TOP

Yes. The law requires any federal agency that is owed a nontax debt that is more than 120 days overdue to notify Treasury of the debt for purposes of offset (withholding funds from a federal payment).

The Treasury Offset Program (TOP) is the part of Treasury responsible for administrative offset.

Questions from disbursing officials about offsetting payments.

Last modified 09/30/20