Promote the Benefits of Direct Deposit!
Although the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s deadline to switch to electronic payments has passed, you can still help your customers or members who receive paper federal benefit checks comply with the law. There are two ways to help people switch:
- Beneficiaries can sign up in your branch.
- You can use the Online Enrollment system provided by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Go Direct® campaign.
This toolkit can help you continue to spread the word about electronic payments for federal benefits.
- External Newsletter Copy – An article intended for your customers or members.
- Internal Newsletter Copy – An article for your tellers, bankers and other branch staff.
- Teller/Call Center Script – Provide these talking points for tellers, bankers and call center staff to use when they are given a federal benefit check to cash or deposit.
- Statement Messages – Add these messages to customer or member statements.
- Social Media Tips – Post these brief messages about direct deposit to your social media sites.
- Fact Sheet – This overview explains more about the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s rule and how your financial institution can help customers or members switch from paper checks to direct deposit for federal benefits.